Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask A Developer!
To add to my previous question,
What kind of personality does Koakuma have? (Since she doesnt have anything about her in Perfect Memento or anything offical-ish like that)

@Cuddlefish Can you tell me why you think Koishi is likely the mystery romance? (In the Story Speculation thread,so that this topic doesnt get too side-tracked)
[Image: gallery_2_15_36541.png]
Playtime values are unknown as of this point. It should, however, be fairly long, from what I can tell.

Also, Koakuma is... a shy, but intelligent character. From what I've read, she definitely seems to come out of her shell a bit more while interacting with Marisa (Though who wouldn't, she's a very good person to talk to).
(03-27-2011, 04:23 PM)28JFJ Wrote: To add to my previous question,
What kind of personality does Koakuma have? (Since she doesnt have anything about her in Perfect Memento or anything offical-ish like that)
From the developer chat:

"So what should Koakuma's personality be?"

"Well what character archeotype are we missing."

"Moe-moe."

"...I approve of this."

Okay, it was a little more detailed then that, but that's the gist of the original plotting. Of course like all characters we fleshed her out from there.
(03-27-2011, 02:18 PM)Cuddlefish Wrote: How long is the end product expected to be? (Time taken to complete one path to a non-bad-end.)

Well, demo 2 is going to be about twice as long as demo 1. (Meaning, the new content will be about as much as the old content.) After demo 2 there's going to be more branching, and I'm not totally caught up on how it'll work, but the final game would probably take at least twice as long as demo 2, nevertheless.
So if that's right, the full game would be a little more than 4 times as long as demo 1.

I'm not sure how it compares to other VNs, but up to most of demo 2, our game code contains around 100,000 words of dialogue/narration (all paths included). I'm not really sure on an hours-of-play estimate since different people read at different speeds.
I have a question: why have you remixed Flandre's theme with minor differences three times and then remixed her stage theme, when the magicians have two each and Reimu one? Favouritism? Forgetfulness? Plans to balance things out later on?

Not counting the battle themes, 'cause they don't make a change to the overall total, since anyone and everyone could end up with one of them.

Also, why does Kourin have a Mokou doll just sitting on the counter? XD
(07-04-2011, 06:45 PM)Rainy Daze Wrote: I have a question: why have you remixed Flandre's theme with minor differences three times and then remixed her stage theme, when the magicians have two each and Reimu one? Favouritism? Forgetfulness? Plans to balance things out later on?

Not counting the battle themes, 'cause they don't make a change to the overall total, since anyone and everyone could end up with one of them.
Flandre's first theme was a good general theme, but when we released the first demo we needed something for her more somber moments, so there was a minor variant made. Then we wanted a variant for the few times she was slightly disturbing, but not outright dangerous.

All those variants were mainly loop alterations and minor tone changes. The full themes had to be created from scratch.

As for the Mokou doll, I have no clue.
(07-04-2011, 06:45 PM)Rainy Daze Wrote: Also, why does Kourin have a Mokou doll just sitting on the counter? XD

Lots of products from the "outside world" end up in Kourindou. I wouldn't be surprised if someone's actually made a doll like that.

I guess... it's on the counter because Kourin likes it so it's not for sale. At least, that's my guess for why someone like Keine or Mystia hasn't bought it yet. >_>
(07-04-2011, 08:00 PM)Graph Wrote: I guess... it's on the counter because Kourin likes it so it's not for sale. At least, that's my guess for why someone like Keine or Mystia hasn't bought it yet. >_>

Or Kaguya. Bet she could find a way to kill Mokou with it. :lol:

Still, why has Reimu got one?

Muenzuka Waltz has an astonishingly appropriate name. Even if it didn't make sense until I researched it.
(07-04-2011, 06:45 PM)Rainy Daze Wrote: I have a question: why have you remixed Flandre's theme with minor differences three times and then remixed her stage theme, when the magicians have two each and Reimu one? Favouritism? Forgetfulness? Plans to balance things out later on?

What IcedFairy said is true, the Flandre alterations were just quick changes. As for Reimu, I haven't been able to make a theme for her that I'm happy with. This will definitely be fixed in the final release.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. Musicians paint their pictures on silence.
... You know.

I kept on hearing about an elusive forum, that I could never find - I checked over the blog countless times, each time missing it. And then... In big letters under the banner - well, guess I Okuu'd. Anyway! Having found Demo 2 even more awesome and vivifying than the last, and finally having managed to find the forums, a late night mendicant has appeared!.. And after this, I really need to sleep. First of all; what led you to decide on the 'ending note' for D2? It worked very well, although my inner fear (and perhaps desire) is that Byakuren is going to
Secondarily - how on earth did you manage to cram so many references into this? I pride myself on arcwelding together obscure bits of trivia, and I'm sure there's still cool things alluded to in the text and art and almost certainly even the music I still haven't noticed; as an example, I only just caught Yuyuko's off-handed comment about being similar to a gaki. Thirdly, because it hasn't been asked and really needs to - what were some of the things that inspired each of you? Either specifically for your tasks, or just in general? No one has to answer, but I'm very curious. And don't worry, I won't textwall too much here. I just really thought I ought to do something to show my appreciation, and this is the only way how I really know. Wink High-fives are in order, and when you finish this, I'll still be watching to see what subjects you might tackle next.

... Seriously, how'd I miss that huge honkin' forum logo? Actually, that's not a question. Don't answer that. Please. -_-
(07-05-2011, 12:53 PM)Tired/Warm Wrote: Thirdly, because it hasn't been asked and really needs to - what were some of the things that inspired each of you?

This one is pretty obvious, but the Touhou fandom is pretty amazing. It's still going strong several years after the creation of the first Windows game, as evidenced by the hundred-some images that show up on Danbooru every day. I think this steady interest has been a great encouragement for all of us in pursuing this very long-range goal; and we'll need it, because I'm pretty sure the writers are going to be entrenched for at least another year before we get to the final release.

Super Robot Wars, a.k.a Super Robot Taisen might be my biggest influence stylistically. I've never seen a game so excessive with its visuals! Two direct results in ESR are the VERY wide range of expressions the cast has, with major characters clocking in over 20, and a few of the VFX images in the danmaku segments, particularly explosions and lasers.

[Digressing somewhat]
Also Fate/Stay Night, for showing me just how much you can do with a Visual Novel production-wise. I don't expect us to be able to touch that kind of polish given our knowledge and the size of our staff, but I'd say it got me started on the style of visual you see in the danmaku battles currently.
What are you planning to do after ESR is finished?
Something more original (characters etc.) or another Touhou centered project?

EDIT: Also what is that poster in Rinnosuke's shop of?
(07-05-2011, 05:19 PM)28JFJ Wrote: What are you planning to do after ESR is finished?
I can't speak for the group, but I know I have some time now since there's more writing than art left currently. I'm getting ready to try my hand at taking commissions, perhaps at the Lemma Soft Forums since I now have pretty considerable experience making VN resources.

Quote:EDIT: Also what is that poster in Rinnosuke's shop of?
A small sketchy mecha Yatagarasu, first seen in my Touhou Mecha story. It's getting a redesign if that story comes back.
Yep.
I might read that Mecha story when I get time
(07-05-2011, 05:19 PM)28JFJ Wrote: What are you planning to do after ESR is finished?

Our current answer would be We don't know. There's still a long way to go to complete ESR.

I think DSD is a really fun group, and I'd be happy to keep working with them. But all that comes when our current project is nearing completion.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. Musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote:This one is pretty obvious, but the Touhou fandom is pretty amazing. It's still going strong several years after the creation of the first Windows game, as evidenced by the hundred-some images that show up on Danbooru every day. I think this steady interest has been a great encouragement for all of us in pursuing this very long-range goal; and we'll need it, because I'm pretty sure the writers are going to be entrenched for at least another year before we get to the final release.

Super Robot Wars, a.k.a Super Robot Taisen might be my biggest influence stylistically. I've never seen a game so excessive with its visuals! Two direct results in ESR are the VERY wide range of expressions the cast has, with major characters clocking in over 20, and a few of the VFX images in the danmaku segments, particularly explosions and lasers.

Thanks for the reply! I was kind of wondering about SRT... Growing up, the only Giant Mecha anime I had exposure to was Eva - which I loved very much, but everything else seemed like it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy. Of course, I never tried it, so how could I have know that? Silly me~ Refusing multiple offers to even dip my feet into the proverbial water, a friend of mine convinced me to just look at SRT - and everything about it sold me in a heartbeat. The amount of expressions, the fluid animation(! why don't more games do that?), the way that it adds an extra layer of life-likeness to the cast... And on top of that, I've been exposed to some seriously good stuff I wouldn't have otherwise! Maybe even become a little hot-blooded somehow; although I guess I'm still probably more of a Real Robot fan in theory. Wink

Now that you can mention it, I can definitely see the influence, and you took it to heart well. I enjoyed - and was extremely pleased by - the seamlessness|raw cool factor of the battles; I think I mentioned that the expressions were one of the three things that 'linked' everything together to me, by synching into the writing and the music at MotK, but I'll say it again here. I have yet to play SWRZ, it sounds absolutely incredible - your thoughts? Anyway - I think even if you don't 'match' the polish of something like Fate/SN, ESR is on quite the road to it's own, highly enjoyable style. I'll stop gushing for now - but it feels good to mention this personally. Thanks again for answering my question!
Proving that I seem to always have questions, here's two more: from a question you answered last year, the second demo is apparently twice as long as the first (is it? I haven't been paying attention...) and the full thing should be roughly twice as long as the second demo. That still accurate?

My SECOND (or is it third?) question is simple: just how small is Marisa? Going by the photo taken with Rinnousuke and that the text mentions Marisa's floating, she's either tiny or Kourin there is huge. Or both. Either way, is there anyone except for Flandre and the fairies she's actually larger than or the same height as? Well, and probably Remilia, though being physically 12 and Western makes it more plausible that she's the same height or close to it...
Quote:Going by the photo taken with Rinnousuke and that the text mentions Marisa's floating, she's either tiny or Kourin there is huge.

I just forgot to take the floating part into account. I made height differences not that pronounced in general so that everyone from Suwako to Utsuho will fit comfortably onscreen.
Part of me much prefers to think that Marisa simply is that small. It amuses me, for some reason. Much like Cirno does.
(07-05-2011, 12:53 PM)Tired/Warm Wrote: =Secondarily - how on earth did you manage to cram so many references into this? I pride myself on arcwelding together obscure bits of trivia, and I'm sure there's still cool things alluded to in the text and art and almost certainly even the music I still haven't noticed; as an example, I only just caught Yuyuko's off-handed comment about being similar to a gaki. Thirdly, because it hasn't been asked and really needs to - what were some of the things that inspired each of you? Either specifically for your tasks, or just in general? No one has to answer, but I'm very curious. And don't worry, I won't textwall too much here. I just really thought I ought to do something to show my appreciation, and this is the only way how I really know. Wink High-fives are in order, and when you finish this, I'll still be watching to see what subjects you might tackle next.

... Seriously, how'd I miss that huge honkin' forum logo? Actually, that's not a question. Don't answer that. Please. -_-

I once missed a giant tire with a sign on it saying "TIRES" in a Wal-Mart while looking for the Tire Center, it's all good.

We crammed in tons of references because most of us are pop culture sponges. Like me. I used to know exactly how many times the word "Matrix" was said in the movie of the same name.

I've mostly been inspired by more comedy anime, manzai and slapstick skits, and comic strips than I can count. It's responsible for a lot of the zaniness/straight-man dynamics that show up in the bits that I wrote.