Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting A Consistent Bosd Out Of Chapter Two
The title described my problem pretty well.

I had no difficulties whatsoever with chapter one. Then I get to chapter two, and have trouble getting the cut-in announcing Chireiden's location to appear. Or Satori to appear. The text was fine. Then Eiki starts to speak, and the whole thing stutters and then blue screen. So I tried it again, and this time the location cut-in worked proper, and Satori appeared properly. But when Eiki's text box appears, but before it can show anything, it stutters and blue screens again. Weirdest damn thing.

I partially suspect this is a problem on my end? But on the other hand I had no problems at all with Chapter One at all, which makes me wonder.

Any ideas? Oh, lemme hit you up with some system specs.

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Video Card Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Memory 3.1 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
The fact that you're still using Windows XP worries me a bit, though of course BSoD still isn't something that should happen.

Have you tried the different rendering methods yet? Press Shift + G while Touhou Mecha is running and you'll get the options of DirectX, OpenGL, and software. Windows default is OpenGL for some reason, but I tend to find that DirectX runs smoother, and is also easier for most people to update. Software mode should *probably* be free of compatibility issues, but is prone to lag even on a decent machine.

And just to clarify, does Chapter 1 work fine in version 2.0, or did you play that one in an earlier version? I'm curious since version 2.0 is the first time I'm having the textbox dissolve in instead of appearing suddenly, and I also changed Chapter 1 to use that behavior in the same release.
Actually, I did both. Chapter 1 back when it was first released, and then again on the recent release since I never did 1.5 for the extras). No problems either time.

Anyways, tried forcing Direct X and Open GL and got the blue screen both times. In particular, in Open GL the main images didn't render, just little strips along the bottom (so all I'd see were Satori's legs). Haven't tried software mode yet, I kinda don't want to bluescreen three times in a row, maybe later tonight if this doesn't reveal anything.
That's puzzling. I was going to suggest it might be a graphics acceleration issue, but I don't think there's much different about the way Chapters 1 and 2 are coded, especially at the very start. If updating your DirectX driver doesn't work I don't know what it could be; assuming Windows XP does play nice with the latest version. (And I assume you can't pull up an error traceback if it BSoDs, either)

Apologies for not being more help. It would be nice to have the main story in video format, as a fallback when compatibility issues get in the way. Though I'll have to ask for assistance on that; my laptop isn't quite good enough to play smoothly while running the recording software.
Whether software mode works or not will probably give us the most information as to what is actually going on. Give it a shot when you have time.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. Musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys.

Tried Softward Mode, got the same result (other rendering issues before the bluescreen).
Well, I think we can rule out a DirectX or OpenGL related problem at least. Still, I don't have any ideas on what could've caused it at the moment.